I provide specialized therapy services to individuals, couples and families dealing with an addiction. Typically when people think about the term addiction, they think about alcohol or other
substances but there are also addictions to behaviors such as sex, gambling, work, shopping, etc.
How do I know if I have an addiction?
One way for you to begin thinking about it is to ask yourself these questions and if you answer yes to any of them, it would be a good idea for you to call and request an appointment.
- Have you ever tried to cut down or control your use of a substance (or behavior)?
- Have you ever felt annoyed or angry when someone told you that you used the substance too much (or did the behavior too much)?
- Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your use of a substance (or behavior)?
- Have you ever used the substance first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover?
What will happen during my initial appointment?
I offer two types of initial appointments:
- Initial consultation: this is a short appointment (typically 20 mins) which gives you a chance to meet me and ask questions about your concern or therapy itself. You will need to fill
out a page of demographic information and an informed consent. After this appointment, you can decide if you would like to schedule an evaluation/comprehensive assessment. This
appointment is conducted at no charge.
- Evaluation/comprehensive assessment: this is a regular appointment (50 mins) where we discuss what is bringing you in to therapy and allows the therapist to begin collecting information to
determine what might be going on and how to help. Often, it takes a few appointments for the evaluation/assessment process to be complete. If this is your first appointment, you will need
to fill out a page of demographic information and an informed consent. This appointment is conducted at my regular appointment rate.